Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crumbed Brains

On the menu today is crumbed brains. I've never cooked brains before! I wonder what the kids will make of them? I'm hoping that they will at least try them. I think Ryan will, not too sure about Caitie though.

I can't even remember what brains taste like though I do adore sweetbreads.................

Here's my ammalgamation of recipes that I found and added all together and made my own. The brains have been soaked and poached and are now waiting in the fridge for the final cooking!

1: Place brains in enough cold water to cover, changing the water every now and then, until the brains are cleansed, about 1-2 hours

2: Remove the skin and membranes

3: Using fresh water, place the brains in a saucepan and add enough to cover plus the juice of a lemon (or 3 tbs mild vinegar), a bay leaf and a little salt.

4: Put the pot on a medium high flame, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and allow the brains to simmer for 10 minutes

5: Drain the brains and dry them well then cool.

6: After cooling check for any leftover membrane, skin or soft pieces and remove

7: Slice each brain into bite size pieces

8: Dredge in flour, egg and then seasoned breadcrumbs (cajun seasoning, dried parsley, salt and pepper) (cornmeal or savoury biscuit crumbs can be used instead of breadcrumbs)

9: Saute in butter and/or oil until golden

10: Serve with lemon wedges

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What were the brains like? I'm cooking them for the first time for Christmas breakfast this year, a gift to my father who adores brains. Any tips??

Jenny said...

Interesting Christmas breakfast! They were fairly rich and I couldn't eat too many of them but nice all the same.

Good luck and enjoy your Christmas breakfast with your dad.